Sunday, October 5, 2014

Last Long Run Before Race Day

Saturday turned into a rest day. I was up pretty late Friday, and when my alarm went off at 6:45 I decided that rest was more important than meeting up with the group. My legs have been really tired the last couple of runs and the last thing I want is to show up on race day with tired legs.

I have been making baby steps in getting the house less messy ready for my mom's visit - she will be here ON FRIDAY!! :)

My training plan had another 13 miler on the schedule for today. I really don't think it's a good idea for me to run 13 miles the week before the race, so my long run was a shorter 9 miles today. I even went out with a set time so I wouldn't be tempted to run it faster than I should.



My Transcends made a rare appearance on the trails today. They're just so much heavier than my other shoes.


The guys went walking while I ran. An hour and a half is enough to knock Buddy out for pretty much the rest of the day.


He only moves to follow the patch of sun on the floor.

This afternoon we're watching football, though the pesky East Coast channels aren't going to let me watch the 49ers game later. :(

If you're on Facebook and want updates about the blog - check out my page HERE.

4 comments:

  1. Smart move to cut down your mileage. Good luck on your race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I was really surprised that they had such a long run so close to the race!

      Delete
  2. Are we shoe twins or what...I also have Transcends and we both have the New Balance Minimus trail shoes right? :) I like my Transcends but they are a lot of shoe compared to what I usually wear. I still throw them into the rotation a bit just for fun. Yours are cuter though...mine are black.

    Once I asked a local running group (a big one) the same question about 1/2 marathons and tapering. Apparently a 13-miler doesn't tear your body down as much and you have plenty of time to recover by half marathon day, which is why some plans have the longest long run the week before. However, many plans taper two or even three weeks before so obviously both ways work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are shoe twins! The pink Transcends are fun - they're SO bright!

      I feel like I would be ok if I took it really easy running a 13 miler a week out, but I have had several 13 milers this training cycle so I don't feel like I cheated myself too much. It's funny how different all the plans can be. A one week taper has worked really well for me so far. We'll see how things go on Sunday!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...