Thursday, May 22, 2014

I didn't want to die

I have it in my head that I'm a decently slow runner. I always have been. And I'm ok with that.

But I think it may be keeping me from seeing what I can really do.

After not dying on my trail run last weekend, I thought I should try to bump my training up a notch and see how it goes.

So, today was supposed to be a 5 mile run, with 3 at 9:46/mile.

Instead, I did my 1 mile warm up, and did miles 1&2 at 9:14 pace and mile 3 at 9:05.

Aside from being rather sweaty (which I'm sure you wanted to know), it was good! I mean, I didn't want to sing songs from a Rogers and Hammerstein musical or anything, but I also didn't want to die.


Pretty cool.

Now it's time for my (much avoided) date with my plan book.

Do you have/have you had any mental blocks that hold you back?

4 comments:

  1. always and forever. i start believing certain things about myself and then one day...bam...they aren't true anymore. i was always a peacefully-slow runner. my first half marathon was two and a half hours and i was 100% thrilled with that. then...i kept running and surprising myself with things i never imagined that i was capable of.

    so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's funny how we can hold ourselves back mentally like that.

      Delete
  2. Pre-injury every training run I did I would push my self. Now post injury I just take it easy. I don't care that it takes me over 30 min to run 3 miles when I know I use to be able to do it in a lot less time!

    You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's nice to be able to be happy with what you're able to do at any given time. Much better than getting frustrated with yourself.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...