Saturday, January 11, 2014

Adventures in candy making

When we were on our road trip we picked up some really delicious salted caramels at a coffee shop in Astoria, OR. I rationed them fairly well but there were only about five of them so they couldn't last forever.

I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find a place that sells delicious salted caramels, but instead I found this recipe. Plus it has a nifty video.


My sous chef was underfoot the entire time.


They take an eternity to cool.


And I learned that when a recipe tells you to use parchment paper, you should use parchment paper and not wax paper. There was a moment I thought I was going to lose half the caramel trying to scrape it off the wax paper. But after some quick googling I warmed up a wet washcloth and held it to the back of the wax paper and (other than the corners) it peeled right off.

I do not have the skill or the patience to cut them into equal sized pieces (or to wait the recommended 3 hours before cutting them).


I deliberately did not count how many pieces I ate as I moved them to a tupperware.

Pretty sure all those years of helping my grandma make peanut brittle and poppycock helped with my candy thermometer skills. They turned out dangerously delicious and I'm proud of my first attempt at making caramels.

3 comments:

  1. Funny, you know that your grandpa (Ralph) used to make those every year?! That was his specialty, he had a lot of patience. I remember him wrapping each square individually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't know he made caramels. Must be where I get it from :)

      Delete
    2. That's awesome. He did it all.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...