Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Speed Trap

Sometimes, I get caught up in the speed trap. I want to run fast, faster than last time, faster than last week. Faster.

It's not a smart way to train, in fact, it's a recipe for injury.

My training plan (which claims I will be able to PR at my next half - it hasn't seen the elevation chart!) has my easy runs starting out at 10:21 pace. While I didn't slow down that much, I did slow down. I did today's run at 9:40. And then I read a few articles to remind myself why it is important to not get caught up in the speed trap all the time.

Easy runs are extremely important to training. They help develop slow twitch muscle fibers (super necessary for distance runners!), improve aerobic capacity, bone density, muscle tendon strength and increase glycogen storage (more energy!). This article is a nice reminder that easy runs have their place, even if they are sometimes frustrating.

Buddy thinks that any time someone sits on the couch that he should be on their lap. Because he is clearly a lap dog.


Good thing he's cute.


Today's run was 3 easy miles - it felt short and slow.


It's hard to come off a 50 day run streak and switch to training mode, but I'm working on it.

Have you fallen into the speed trap? 

4 comments:

  1. I find it hard not to push the pace sometimes, although I'm way better than I used to be. I tell all my coaching clients that fast twitch will only take you so far in a marathon, then it's all up to those slow-twitch fibers. All the best with your training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Now I just have to keep reminding myself all the good things about slower running.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I think I have the opposite problem. I am perfectly happy to stay slow. My friend and I were talking tonight about how I have much more potential but I'm not willing to push it in training. LOL! Enjoy your new training plan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely stuck to slow up until last year - I'm not sure when the mental shift happened, but at some point I just started pushing my speed. It might all go back to my group. A lot of them are twice my age and they can run SO much faster than I can - plus everyone is super supportive and encouraging!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...