Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Play silks!

I used to have play silks in my old classroom, and I really wanted some for my kiddos. They're crazy expensive though! I did some research and found that the only way to get them at a semi-reasonable price was to buy blanks and dye them myself.

I told Tom I wasn't that crazy.

It turns out I am.


I took some blanks, and some kool-aid, and made myself some playsilks.

There are instructions all over the internet, but basically I took my silk:


And put in into a simmering pot of water, kool-aid and a splash of vinegar.



Once the silk had sucked up most of the dye (the water turns almost clear), I rinsed them, and hung them up to dry.

Then they were ready for the kiddos!


I took them in yesterday and they were quickly snatched up to become superhero capes, dancing dresses, and baby blankets. I love having open-ended toys like this in my class, it is fun to see what the kids come up with.

In running news, I am in the research phase of looking for my next race. I'm checking out what's coming up in the next few months/this fall and is semi-nearby. I know myself well enough to know I will start to slack off if I don't have a race coming up.

How do you choose your races? Location? Sweet race swag? Do tell!

2 comments:

  1. Good job on the silks. I wasn't quite sure what they were for at first. Thanks for explaining. We usually pick our races based on theme and what all it has to offer. We don't really like races where all you do is cross the finish line and then get in your car to go home. After we find one we like we will then figure out how to get there or if it is even possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Sorry about that, probably should have explained what the play silks were closer to the beginning! :)

      I am definitely partial to some race goodies. For a half marathon I pretty much always want there to be a finisher medal, though I know that's not always the case.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...