Monday, March 30, 2015

West Point Half Marathon Recap

I survived the hills of West Point!


I somehow managed to get through the whole race without taking any pictures, before, during, or after. We didn't even get a group shot of me and my weekend running peoples. Blogger fail.


It's a shame, because West Point is beautiful!

Packet pickup was a breeze (we were early), but the race ended up starting 20 minutes late. A lot of other people weren't early and tons of people were still getting their bibs when the race was supposed to start. It was chip timed anyway, so the rest of us felt like we should have just started. But then, we were also really cold and just wanted to start running.

It was around 27 degrees at the start of the race, and it wasn't much warmer by the time I finished. It's the first time I've raced with a jacket and gloves on.

Before the race started, the West Point Parachute Team jumped into Michie Stadium (the West Point football stadium), which was really cool. They have amazing control of their speed and direction, very impressive!

We all started the race way too fast, most of the first 4 miles were downhill. And then, the hills started. There were some rolling hills, which weren't terrible, and a few very long, very steep ones, which were. The worst hill was at mile 12.5 (a cruel place for a hill) - almost everyone I saw walked at least part of it.

I don't really have an awesome mile-by-mile recap for you this time around. I cycled through feeling awful and wondering why on earth I thought running this race was a good idea, and being impressed with my pace (on the less hilly miles). I got to see Tom around mile 9.5 and at the end of the terrible hill near the end, which was a fun morale boost. :)

The race finished on the field at the stadium, and I passed 4 or 5 guys on my way to the finish line - apparently they don't know how fun it is to sprint after running 13 miles.

I wasn't sure what time to expect when I got to the finish line. I only checked my pace from time to time during the race. I never looked at the running time, so I was pretty happy to see 2:00:xx as I was approaching the line.

My official chip time was 2:00:55 - that's only 2:50 slower than my PR, and my second best half marathon time ever! If it weren't for all those hills, I probably could have set a new PR, which is pretty cool.

They give out what they call a "finishers coin" instead of medals, though I was a little bummed that it was more of a dog tag style than a coin. I'll probably put it on a ribbon so it can hang with the rest of my medals.


Running this race was a really fun way to get to see West Point, and even though I am seriously sore today, I would definitely think about running it again.

9 comments:

  1. It is the BEST to see your fam along the course. And in 27 degree weather, that's true love! I don't know if i could get out of my car at 27 degrees.

    Congratulations on your awesome time!! You know you left it all out on the course when you're that sore the next day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Right? There's nothing like having your own cheering section :)

      Delete
  2. So happy for you! Congrats and thanks to Tom for cheering you on in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaaaay!! That time is amazing, especially for the hills & the cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I was pretty excited to do as well as I did!

      Delete
  4. congrats on your race finish! I hate it when a race does not start on time- pet peeve!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Late race starts are so frustrating!

      Delete
  5. I love the dog tag finishers "coin" it will look great on a ribbon. You did great! And sometimes it's just easier to run without worrying about blog documentation. Lol. Especially when it's cold. My fingers were so cold sunday I really didn't feel like taking my phone out to snap pics. I remember how hilly it is by West Point. I did a local run there once

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There was little chance of me taking my gloves off to take pictures :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...