Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Eggnog Cookies!

The holidays are a time for sweets. There's no doubt about it. Holiday candy pops up in the grocery store, and you know all the limited edition holiday ice creams find their way into my basket. I can't help myself!

My family has always done a lot of baking/candy making around the holidays, and I'm keeping the tradition alive, within reason.

I am very aware that there are only two of us in the house, so I'm trying to not make too many things. We really don't need to have 8 different kinds of cookies in the house. I don't think. 

This afternoon I decided to try a recipe that I found on Cooking Classy for Eggnog Cookies, and they are really good.



Eggnog Cookies 
Recipe from Cooking Classy

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 12 minutes

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, plus more for topping
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp rum extract
1/2 cup eggnog

Frosting:

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
3 - 5 Tbsp eggnog
1/2 tsp rum extract
3 cups powdered sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon for 30 seconds, set aside. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg yolks one at a time, blending just until combined after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract, rum extract and eggnog. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Scoop dough out by the heaping tablespoonfuls and drop onto Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets, spacing cookies 2-inches apart. Bake in preheated oven 11 - 13 minutes. Allow to rest on baking sheet several minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely then frost with Eggnog Frosting and sprinkle tops lightly with nutmeg.

For the Eggnog Frosting:

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter until very pale and fluffy. Add in rum extract and 3 Tbsp eggnog and mix in powdered sugar. Add additional eggnog to reach desired consistency.

Things I did differently: 
  • I used a handheld electric mixer, and a spoon. I'm old-school (and I don't have a stand mixer).
  • I didn't line my cookie sheets with anything, they were perfectly fine and didn't stick at all.
  • I didn't actually measure anything for the frosting and cut back on the amounts of everything. The comments on the recipe said it made a lot of frosting, so I made less. And I still have a bunch leftover.
  • All of my butter was salted, because I'm a rebel.
I am really glad I made them small, because they're pretty rich, but really delicious!


Do you make any special holiday treats? 

4 comments:

  1. What a brilliant cookie idea! I do have a holiday treat I make but I'm not nice like you and share the recipe. It's the only recipe I don't share though. You gotta have that one that everyone wants but have to bring you to the party to get! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had some luck googling with this recipe, there are definitely some family recipes I might be a little more hesitant to share! :)

      Delete
  2. I have never been an eggnog fan but I have never met a cookie I didn't like! My favorite thing I make is my holiday rum cake now known as Santa's Naughty cake! Watch for the recipe post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently started to like the flavor of eggnog - I'm a pretty big fan of eggnog ice cream! Rum cake? Sounds tasty, I'll definitely check it out!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...