Monday, February 9, 2015

Some Early Thoughts on PiYo

There was a decent amount of snow falling this morning. Buddy and I felt that it was much too early to have snow blowing in our faces.


I made a super delicious breakfast with an English muffin, guacamole, greens and eggs.


It was a good way to start the morning. Much better than the snow in my face.

I did two PiYo workouts today. The first one was Define: Upper Body. It was a short one, about 20 minutes, and honestly, it didn't feel like it even counted as working out for the day. Next up was Sweat. This one meant business. It was about 35 minutes and I was definitely sweating! I liked the variety of moves, and the fact that it has a countdown on the screen so if you're in a tough segment you can check it and decide that yes, you can actually do that for another 30 seconds. The two combined made for a good workout!

Some things I like about PiYo so far (as I have done 3 workouts I am now clearly an expert):

  • The pace: it uses a lot of yoga moves that I was already familiar with, but is more up tempo. Plus, the variety of moves makes time go pretty quickly. 
  • It's low impact strength and stretching. The style of workout is so different from what I'm used to, but that's why I think it's a good complement to my running. I already feel like my muscles are less tight than they have been.
  • The feeling I have when I'm finished. It's a relaxed soreness that kind of reminds me of how I feel after a massage.
  • I like the instructor. She doesn't yell at me or want me to throw up (I'm looking at you Jillian Michaels). She wants you to work hard, but is more worried about keeping correct form than killing yourself.
Some things I don't like:
  • Every workout ends with an ad for Shakeology (a Beachbody meal replacement shake) or some skincare product. I paid for workout program, not the home shopping network on dvd.
  • The cost of the program. I actually found my PiYo on Ebay for about $30 (please don't hate me if you're a Beachbody coach), but if you buy it through Beachbody it's around $73. That just seems insane to me (and this is one of their cheaper programs), especially since they're still trying to sell you more things even after you buy the program. 
  • There is such a thing as PiYo burpees. Need I say more?
If you do decide to poke around on Ebay (or another site) just be aware that there are a LOT of fake copies of Beachbody programs floating around. 

I managed to convince myself to do some laundry and the dishes this afternoon, but otherwise have had a pretty mellow day. 

And if anyone has control over these things: Buddy would like the snow to please go away now. Thanks!


 What's your least-favorite workout move? Mine is burpees, hands down.

6 comments:

  1. Our snow comes one day and then goes away. The East coast has worse weather than Alaska:) Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kodiak is its own thing, it's not real Alaska.

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried PiYo yet but it seems people really like it. I do Insanity sometimes as cross training and I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insanity just doesn't sound very inviting ;) It does look like a good workout though!

      Delete
  3. your breakfast looks so good!! Least favorite workout move is absolutely lunges. And dead lifts. And squats too. Totally hate those three.

    Cracks me up how Buddy is your alter ego!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of squats either - thought I really just don't like strength training in general ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...