Friday, February 13, 2015

Look What I Can Do

Happy Friday!

On a whim this morning I decided to try to do a headstand. I think there have been too many amazing yoga pictures on instagram lately and I was getting jealous. While I don't like the super slow speed of yoga, I'm always impressed by some of the postures that people can bend themselves into.

So, quite naturally, I googled it. I read a few articles and watched a couple of videos and decided to try it.


Everyone has to start somewhere, right?

But then I wanted to keep working on it. So, after my run (2 easy miles, nothing terribly exciting), I tried again (and again, and again...).

Once my base felt stable, and I trusted that I would catch myself on the wall, I was able to get fully extended.


My form could still use some work, but for one day of practicing, I'm pretty proud of myself. I got to the point where I could balance without touching the wall for a second or two before I would go back to the wall and/or fall out of it.


The pictures are actually screen shots of videos I took, that's why they're a little blurry. It worked out to be a nice training tool so I could see what I was doing afterwards!

Buddy and I have worn a path in the yard, it's nice to not have to trudge through the deeper areas of snow.


Don't let that blue sky fool you - it was cold out! We're talking negative wind chills. Not my favorite.


Buddy enjoyed the sun from inside instead.


He's so cute.


My goal is to go to bed at a reasonable hour so I can meet up with the group in the morning (for the first time in over a month!). Hopefully I can still keep up with them! :)

Can you do a headstand? Any other fancy yoga moves?

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I was pretty excited to get all the way upside down :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, impressive!! Inversion poses are supposed to be so good for you. Does the blood all rush to your head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too bad, I just have to be careful not to get up too fast when I'm done :)

      Delete
    2. Our yoga teacher said that too. We are doing a very simple/basic inversion--lying on our backs w/ the feet up on the wall, and she said to lie on your side for a minute or two before standing up.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done! I've been doing yoga since I was 19 but haven't been to a single class yet this year. I do a few poses after I run though so I'm not a total loser....I hope....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't taken a yoga class in almost a decade - whoops! :)

      Delete
  4. you are so funny! I will admit I don't think I can do a headstand but I am proud to say I can still do a cartwheel! :) HA! I am looking forward to getting back to my yoga class- one recovery week left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been good at cartwheels - I'm much too worried about falling over so I usually panic.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...