Thursday, November 14, 2013

Why I run (other than candy)

I always find it interesting to hear how people get started on their hobbies so I thought I'd share what got me started running.

Growing up, I was never athletic. I was generally pretty happy to play video games and spend hours and hours on the internet (and still am a lot of the time).

In 8th grade, a teacher I never even had a class with started talking to me about joining the cross country team when I got into high school. I don't even remember how Coach Weller convinced me, but that fall I got my mom to buy me some running shoes and I started going to cross country practice.
Look at little freshman year me!
I wasn't fast. In fact, I was usually one of the last people to cross the finish line. But Coach Weller was always positive and helped me focus on being my own competition and not worrying about other people.

I have run on and off ever since then but it wasn't until I scored a couple of free training sessions at my gym a few years ago that I ran with any focus. My trainer pushed me to set a goal (my first half marathon) and since then I've run two more halfs (I just signed up for my 4th!) and a few 5k and 10k races.
At the finish line of my first half marathon
I will never be the fastest (I can still get faster!), but I really enjoy running and racing. I keep all of my race bibs (numbers) and love my finisher medals. Nothing is better than beating a personal best time. So thank you to Coach Weller for convincing me to get up off the couch!

1 comment:

  1. And I Thank You too, in this day and age, with all the teacher bashing, it is wonderful to read a thoughtful thank you to a teacher

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...