Saturday, May 30, 2015

Long Island Adventure Race

I was up extra early this morning to meet up with a couple of my usual Saturday running buddies. They were putting in some extra miles before the group run, and since I was going to otherwise miss my group run for the week, I decided to join them.

We ran about 4 miles at around a 9:00 pace, in lots of humidity and sunshine. It was really hot for 7:30 in the morning.

The reason I didn't make it to the group run was because Tom signed up to run an adventure race on Long Island. It was SO different than the races I'm used to.


The course was just under 4 miles, and there were over 20 obstacles. There were big groups, teams, families and individuals running. Tom ended up running with a 19 and a 22 year old who were very impressed that he was keeping up with them.


There was a lot of running through the woods, so I missed a lot of obstacles, but I took pictures of the ones I could get to.

These were dumpsters filled with ice water. The one on the right had boards across it so people had to get completely under the water.


I would have looked more like the girl on the right if I had tried to run this race. Tom landed safely on the other side.


There was some rope climbing.

 

Some tire flipping.


And a crazy plank walk.


Then some monkey bars over a mud pit, naturally.


And a giant bubble and water pit at the bottom of a ramp/wall. I have no idea how I managed to not get any bubbles in the picture because they were everywhere! This is where having a group was helpful. Part of the time there were race volunteers at the top to help people up. All the obstacles were optional, so if things got too tricky, people could go around.


Then there was some (more) mud.


And a little more mud.


They had finishers medals, bananas and water waiting at the finish line, and the fire department was there to help take care of the mud.


Tom had a great time and I managed to only get a little sunburned. A pretty fun day overall!

Have you run an obstacle course race? Would you want to?

I haven't, and I don't know that I would want to - I'm not big on rope climbing and dumpsters full of ice water :)

6 comments:

  1. Look slike Tom is ready to audition for America Ninja Warrior Now! I bet he had loads of fun but I don't think that would be my thing. I wouldn't mind being a spectator though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun watching all the racers - the bubble pit/wall was hilarious to watch!

      Delete
  2. It is probably so much fun to watch! I did the Warrior Dash once and the Merrell Down and Dirty. One was a 5k and the other a 10k but i'm done with obstacle races. I sprained my ankle in one and cried in another. LOL. I suck at being pushed out of my comfort zone with scary stuff. LoL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I would end up getting hurt - I'm no good at scary stuff either! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...