Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Lazy Runner, Party of One

Right, so, strength training. I really just need someone to make me do it. Only that wouldn't work either, because when someone tells me to do something, I want to do the opposite. I'm really mature like that.

I was listening to a Runners Connect podcast in the car this morning (which I found because MB of Tutus and Tennies posted about podcasts today) that talked about why strength training is important for runners (injury prevention!) and how to incorporate it into your schedule.

What I took away from it is this: even adding 5-10 minutes of bodyweight exercises before and after a run can make a huge difference.

You can check out the podcast (or just the transcript) HERE.

Inspired by the podcast, I started my run with a short routine known as the Lunge Matrix.


I ran 4 easy miles while I finished watching Blackfish (have you watched it? It's so sad.), and when I was done I ran through a few bodyweight exercises - 3 sets of 12 reps each.

Bridges
Backward Lunges
Squats
Plie Squats

I used an app because we all know I'm incapable of making myself do more than 3 squats before deciding that's enough. Lazy runner, party of one.

It's Cinco de Mayo, so we're celebrating with tacos, chips and guacamole and beer.

Buddy is very excited for the festivities.


Are you doing anything fun for Cinco de Mayo?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...