Monday, February 8, 2016

Freezer 5k

I went back through my Athlinks profile on Saturday, so I'm pretty confident in saying that I haven't run a 5k since 2009.

I didn't really have a time goal going into Sunday's Freezer 5k. I decided I was just going to run it and see where I'm at right now.

The race didn't start until 10, which felt late to me, but I guess you don't have to start so early when it's only a 5k.

We got to the race around 9:15 so we had time to pick up our numbers (Tom ran too!) and find some of my weekend running friends. It's a small race, so getting our bibs was quick and easy, and we had plenty of time to warm up a bit.

Tom and I both went out a little too fast, but stayed together until a little after mile 2. It was weird to run such a short race, and when I realized there was only a mile left, I sped up. I passed a decent number of people in the last mile, and as I was reeling in my next target, he started keeping pace with me rather than let me pass him.

I told the guy he didn't seem to be in enough pain for that stage in the race, and at the mile 3 marker he said, "Come on, let's go!" We both sped up for the last tenth of a mile and even when I pulled ahead, he kept telling me to "go!" I've dubbed him my finish line buddy. He disappeared at the finish line (which is tricky in a race of a couple hundred people) so I didn't get a chance to thank him for the extra push.


I ended up being pleasantly surprised by my finish time: 25:01! It's definitely a PR for me, and I don't think I completely hate 5ks anymore. I can actually see some benefit to running a 5k from time to time.

Tom has only really been consistently running for the last month or so, but he wasn't very far behind me. Give him a few more months and he'll be beating me in the 5k!

We came home and ate a bunch of Liège waffles and sausages. I could say it was because of the Super Bowl, but really we just wanted waffles.


Please ignore the waffle crumbs all over the counter. It's a messy business.

We ended up being so full from our lunchtime waffles, that our Super Bowl dinner ended up consisting of a buffalo chicken dip that Tom made, carrots and celery, and chips and salsa. I'm not sorry.

I had a 4 miler on my training plan for today, and wow, it was slow. Apparently you can't expect to be at the top of your game the day after running a PR, even if it was just a 5k.

Did you watch the Super Bowl? 

What's your favorite game day food? Chips and guacamole. Always.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome time! Way to go!! Congratulations on the new 5K PR! Those waffles look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana!

      The waffles are SO good! They are a yeast based dough rather than a thinner batter - a little more work, but totally worth it.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your PR! That's an amazing race time. I actually didn't watch the super bowl. I'm not a huge football fan, so usually I'll only watch it if my friends or family are having a party that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I grew up watching football with my family, so it's pretty much a habit now :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the PR! 5ks serve as excellent speedwork and I happen to love them. They hurt but they're over so quickly. I'm a huge chips/guac fan alas we had none. Just part of a bunless pub burger for me. It was tasty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia! I don't like the death feeling of 5ks, but apparently speed work has been making a difference! :)

      Delete
  4. Nice work on that PR!! I have only raced one 5k so far but have Carlsbad 5000 coming up so I am anxious to see if I can run this distance as fast as I'd like to. This year's favorite super bowl food for me would have to be the bacon wrapped dates my son-in-law made. They were just perfect and no, I'm not sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane!

      Bacon wrapped dates? I would definitely give those a try!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the PR! That is awesome! I'm not a huge fan of 5Ks because I'm not fast, but I need to try to get used to pushing myself more at that distance.

    Those waffles look amazing! My favorite Super Bowl food is this absolutely decadent and unredeemable cheese dip that I make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your PR!! I always try to pass up someone in the last 10ths of a 5K. Extra points for it being a guy.

    This year we had some awesome bbq ribs for SB. Meaty & saucy, just like I like 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Passing people at the end of any race always feels good!

      Ribs sound really good - Tom made some not too long ago that were amazing!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...