Monday, November 9, 2015

Running With Buddy and a Recipe

My GPS watch still isn't working right. I've tried all the troubleshooting fixes, and now it's looking like it may end up getting replaced. At least it waited until after the marathon to stop working.

Even though I'm mostly watch-less (I can see some of the stats after a run, but nothing during) I had a really good run on Sunday. It's the first run since the marathon that I can honestly say that about. I threw on an audiobook and went on my way - and I enjoyed myself! It was pretty great.


Buddy has been loving my new running schedule. He has two days a week penciled in where he gets to come with me. We do 2-3 miles and he gets insanely excited when he sees his running leash. He knows it's different than going for a walk. On a walk he stops every few feet to sniff things, but once we're running he's good about not making any abrupt pit stops.


I made a pretty tasty (and easy) dinner tonight. I was inspired by this recipe from PaleOMG, and made some additions. Ok, one addition and some hot sauce. Plus, butternut squash never cooks as quickly as recipes tell me it will.

I completely failed to take a picture before we ate it all, because I was busy worrying that I overcooked the eggs (I didn't).

Butternut Squash Hash
Adapted from this recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced 
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 pound chorizo
  • 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
  • salt, pepper and granulated garlic, to taste
  • 4 eggs (or however many you want to squeeze in there)
  • hot sauce
Instructions:
  • Place a cast iron skillet or pan over medium heat. Add butternut squash and onion.
  • Cook butternut squash and onions a few minutes (5-10) until edges are browned. Turn heat to low and cover pan, cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until squash is soft. 
  • Once squash is mostly cooked, add chorizo. Break chorizo into small pieces, and cook until completely cooked through.
  • While chorizo cooks, add kale, and cook until wilted. 
  • Use a spoon to press in 4 little crevices. Crack eggs into the crevices. Place a lid over the pan and cook until eggs are cooked to over easy (or to preference), about 3-4 minutes.
  • Serve with hot sauce! (we used Cholula, because it's good on everything)

8 comments:

  1. I received an Apple Watch for my birthday, and I was hoping to replace my Garmin Forerunner 10--but I don't think it is going to be my everything watch. I'm still testing it. I just want one gadget to do everything! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different gadgets out there! An all-in-one would be nice, for sure, but I feel like so many of them are only good at one or two things.

      Delete
  2. OMIYUM - did you say chorizo? OK, I'm in! Lately, I have become obsessed with butternut squash so I will definitly give this a shot! Thanks for sharing. Looks like you have yourself a wonderful running Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The butternut squash is what inspired the dinner! Plus, you can't go wrong with chorizo!

      Delete
  3. That stinks that your GPS watch stopped working. I hate when technology fails us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Technology is supposed to help us! :)

      Delete
  4. Awww, your running with Buddy reminds me of when I used to run with my rottie. What kind of leash is a running leash? I fell more than a couple of times running with her. Something would startle her (like her shadow) and she'd dart in front of/through my legs. Big bad rottweiler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a leash for him that goes around my waist (I hate holding things when I run), and the leash itself has a bungee section so if he pulls it isn't quite such a sharp tug.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...