Sunday, August 23, 2015

Running Math and Headstands

Long run days are all about me whining. 5am is early! 18 miles is far! I'm so hungry!

I was up dark and early for my 18 miler today. The morning started off as most mornings do: with coffee and an english muffin. It was actually a little cooler out, but check out that humidity!
.

I felt good for most of this run, and I was pretty sure that it was flatter than the areas I have been running lately. As an added bonus, I ran near a park/campground and had bathroom access. It's the little things. 

I took a couple of Huma gels (mangoes and strawberries) and a GU (strawberry kiwi - not my favorite) with me in my hydration pack, and I really liked the Huma gels - they weren't that sickly sweet that some gels have. I don't usually take fuel all at once, I take small amounts over the course of a mile or so.

Due to running math (which is almost always wrong), I had to run past the house to hit my mileage. Then I didn't turn back when I should have, so I walked a half a mile after I made it to 18 miles.

I did my usual collapse on the floor/ground when I got home.


And I learned that the area I ran was decidedly not flat.



I sat out in the yard with Buddy for a bit while I cooled down.


This wasn't today, but I've been paying upside down a lot lately. I'm trying to get a bit of a backbend going, but it's harder than all those yogis on instagram make it look! ;)


Is it hilly or flat where you live?

4 comments:

  1. So was this your first 18 miler? You did great! I've got both hilly and flat routes nearby. The flat ones I usually drive to like the beach. I'll probably run by the beach again today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, first 18 miler! :) I'm jealous that you have flat options. I haven't found any near me yet.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...