Sunday, September 27, 2015

Pace or Effort?

I'm having a debate. I'm thinking about covering my watch screen with masking tape or blue tape for the marathon.


My favorite halfs have been the ones where I ran by feel and wasn't focused on my pace the entire time. I only get one first marathon, and I really want to take it all in and enjoy it.

At the same time, I've been told that pacing at the beginning of Steamtown is key. The biggest mistake you can make on the course is going out too fast on the early downhills. If I cover my watch I can't check my pace to make sure I'm not taking off too quickly.

I had a really good run today! I feel like it's been a really long time since I said that. It was a short (4 mile) pace run, and I was shooting for 9:00 pace. I was feeling pretty good and pushed the pace. I ended up running my 4 miles at an average pace of 8:30!


Tom spent most of the day digging a trench down to the septic pipes.


Parts of this trench are waist deep!


The plumber was here the other day, and apparently the septic was starting to back up. We're hoping replacing the old pipes fixes the problem because everything else seems to be working the way it's supposed to.

How was your running this weekend?

Should I cover my watch screen for the marathon?

4 comments:

  1. I have no advice for the watch during the race. What if you did 1/2 and 1/2? Like watched it the first 1/2 to make sure you didn't go out too fast and then covered it up later?

    Hopefully your septic is working okay now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may just try to keep my watch on the distance screen rather than the pace screen and hope that I leave it alone for the most part.

      Tom is currently putting new pipes in the trench he dug yesterday, then the septic should be good to go!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Jan. I do not know what would be better knowing or not knowing. I hope your plumbing issues are resolved soon. I am glad I live where there is public water service. Growing up we had so many septic issues. My mom would obsess over it. Have a great day
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also grew up with a septic system, but we never really had any issues. The pipes in ours were just really old, so hopefully replacing them should fix the problem!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...