Monday, February 20, 2017

Running Things

I was trying to get this posted sometime last week, but was swiftly taken out by a fever last Thursday. After spending the entire weekend on the couch, the fever is finally gone and I almost feel human again. It's still going to be a couple of days before I even think about trying to run, but at least I can leave the couch for more than a few minutes at a time now.

***

I don't really have many fun "seen on my run" type pictures from recent runs, partially because I've been busy running instead of stopping to take pictures, and partially because a lot of those miles have been on the treadmill.

I did manage to pause long enough to take these last week.



I'm in the middle of training for the Sleepy Hollow Half Marathon at the end of March. This will be my third time running this race, and it is my current half PR. After the disappointment of last year's marathon finish, I'm just hoping to enjoy the race and finish strong.

I am not going to be doing a ton of racing this year. My focus is on building strength (injury prevention) and running a successful marathon in the fall.

This year I will be mixing things up and running a new (to me) marathon - The Newport Marathon in Rhode Island. I have never been to Rhode Island, but the course sounds beautiful and it's not a bad drive from our house.

I'm also going to be following a new training plan this year. Previously I have used Hal Higdon plans, and while they worked just fine, I'm interested to see how this new training works for me. I will be following Coach Jay Johnson's Simple Marathon Training. It's a 20 week plan that includes strength and mobility (SAM) exercises and a weekly brisk walk, along with the usual things you expect to find in a marathon training plan (running and cross training).

For now though, I just need to finish recovering from this bug so I can get back to normal life again.


1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are feeling better. Been there myself..had a viral flu during the new year eve, the worst timing if it all. I've been using the Hal Higdon's half marathon training plan but the last 2-3 weeks before race day always gets me confused as to when I should do the longest run before taper, as he suggests one week before the race if I recollect correctly.
    BTW do you follow this family from Alaska(you are a Kodiak girl :)) on youtube channel called dudelikehella, they are from Eagle River. We love their daily videos. We are thinking about visiting Alaska this year again may be Juneau. We missed the Aurora last year(stupid clouds) that has been haunting us since then :)

    Happy Running !!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...