Thursday, April 21, 2016

Feelin' Funky

I've been in a bit of a running funk lately. It actually started right around my half PR last month, but it's really been hanging around.

Every once in a while I hit this wall with running where I feel like I will never run fast again, and that I will never enjoy running again. It's nice to be able to take a break when I get in these moods, but I had already signed up for the Hook Half before I hit the slump.

Now that I have a bit of a break (my next half is in June), I'm trying to mix things up a bit. I am planning on doing more strength training (2x a week), running 4 days a week, and doing yoga most days. It is surprisingly easy for me to fit 15-20 minutes of yoga in when I put my mind to it.

I'm hoping the variety will help my running and help me get out of my funk.

I actually had a good run today. Ok, so I had three kind of blah miles and one mile that felt great at the end, but that more than makes up for the other three.


Buddy and Tom ran 5 miles today. Buddy has barely moved since they got home, but he is always so excited when he gets to go running. Soon he'll be up to enough miles that I will be able to bring him with me on some of my weekend runs.


6 comments:

  1. I hope the additional cross-training helps you break out of your running funk. I've definitely been there. What about taking a zero week? I don't remember when your marathon is, so I don't know if that's feasible with your training for it, but it seems like that could be a good way to give yourself a little mental and emotional break from running without losing conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have cut out a lot of miles and really dropped the intensity of my runs, which seems to be helping. Getting used to the warmer weather is helping too. Knowing I don't have a race for a while helps too.

      Delete
  2. You totally inspired me to try Yoga! I am 3 weeks in, doing 2x week for an hour per class at 24 hour fitness. I go Tues and Thurs on my lunch hour. Thank you, I'm kinda liking it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! It took me a while, but I have really been enjoying yoga. I think it helps to move in different ways. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...