Thursday, April 27, 2017

Marathon Musings and Pooch Pictures

I'm using a new training plan for my marathon this year. It is going to take some getting used to. Easy run days are all time (not distance) based, and only long runs and some workout days actually have mileage attached to them.  It's also a 20 week plan and has four 18 milers, two 20s and a 22 mile long run. And there's walking. A brisk walk every week the day after the long run.

I have been getting newsletters from Coach Jay Johnson for a while now, and was excited when he announced the release of his book Simple Marathon Training last fall. I have read the book cover to cover and have already added some of his techniques to my running.

I started doing the lunge matrix and leg swings before every run since the new year, and have been doing SAM (strength and mobility) work afterwards. I just made the switch up to phase 2 of SAM work last week.



After last year's disappointing finish at Steamtown, I decided I needed to do something different. Coach Jay's plan really emphasizes staying injury free and running your best race.

It has been a bit of a challenge to alter my mindset on easy days to not worry about my pace. I am fine during my runs (I don't look at my watch), and have been feeling pretty good, but when I upload my watch data I find I am disappointed by my pace. I keep telling myself I am rebuilding, and the fact that I am running pain-free is the most important thing, but there's still that little part of me that hates to see those slower splits.

It is also a bit of an adjustment to get used to doing SAM work after every run. I have to plan that extra time into my workout.

I don't officially start marathon training for another 3 weeks or so, but at least I am starting healthy this year!

And for those of you who don't care about marathon training - here are some recent dog pictures ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...